I’m sure you could list of a few of your own reasons for wanting to become a firefighter and get a job with the fire service. that would make the fire service recruitment process seem all worth while.
After I finished a session with a guy I was helping through the recruitment process. for the fire service in Melbourne I started thinking why, why is it that so many people want to become firefighters as a career.
I know it sounds like a pretty simple question that you could answer very quickly. but It made me want to figure out the main reasons behind peoples individual desire. particularly before obtaining a job with the fire service and then after being in for a while.
Learn How To Become A Firefighter and Secrets That The Majority Don’t Know.
So I decided to ask those I have worked with, those that I currently work with and the people aspiring to become firefighters. I will list the main reasons that kept recurring through this process, I hope this may help you decide or confirm your desire to become part of the profession.
- I wanted a job where no day was the same. Unpredictable and exciting.
- I like or liked the idea of being able to help people when they really need it.
- Always been interested in firefighting and have wanted to be a fireman or firefighter since I was a child.
- Wanted to be in a respected profession within the community and be a valued part of the community.
- Like the idea of the diversity of roles covered within the fire service ie. Rope rescue, road accident rescue, fire, hazmat incidents.
- Liked the look of the roster and holidays for spending time with family.
- I was looking for a secure profession that was not going to be boring and offers a career path.
These are not in order but are the main reasons that kept cropping up again and again. when I was asking people from across the above groups, it was interesting to note that the reasons did not change a great deal between the perspective firefighters and those that have been in the service for a number of years. It was nice to see this theme unfold as it shows the career does offer a rewarding experience. and this is shown by a minuscule number of people ever resigning once they have become a firefighter.
I would really love to hear from you If you would like to share your reasons. so I can add them in here and share it amongst everyone, there may be reasons in there you may never have thought of, I know there are some I did not initially consider which have become more important to me as time has gone on. I wish you the best of luck in your venture to become a firefighter and am here to help you through the process.